December 31, 2016

All Glory be to Christ

I'm sorry I've been somewhat AWOL the past couple weeks. I thought I was going to get through December for the first time without my depression completely taking over. In fact, I made it to within a few days of Christmas, thinking I was actually going to finally succeed. But then it all came to a screeching halt.

As an adult, I've just not been all that interested in Christmas, let alone the month of December. Decorating for "the season" has never been a big thing for me. I have, but more times than not we've opted to not put up a Christmas tree or decorations... unless it was during the couple years when we talked the kids and grandkids into spending the day with us, then I went as all-out as we could afford for them.

Sorry to be a "downer" for those who thrive during the month. Most people just don't understand what this time of year can do to us who deal with especially difficult depression during the holidays. The only reasons I have for my own case are things that have happened and losing several family members over the years in these months. People also deal with SAD (seasonal affective disorder). In all the years I've blogged, I've not posted during the month of December – until this year. After Thanksgiving each year, I would simply say "I don't do December or Christmas" and leave it at that. I really tried this year, but, well...

I do, however, exult in Christ's birth! He is the reason for the season, as they say. I thank God every day for sending His Son to save me from myself, to wash my sins away, and provide everlasting life for me through Jesus Christ!

Many will be celebrating this last day of 2016, looking forward to a fresh new start and making "resolutions." I've never done "New Year's resolutions," instead believing that if I'm going to commit to doing something – and accomplish it – then by golly, I'll do it whatever time of year it is! And my focus will always be on the One Who has The Plan for my life, always asking that His Will be done.

So, as we begin 2017, please allow me to leave you with this song that encourages us to remember Christ's glory in everything past, present, and future. Its melody uses that of "Auld Lang Syne."


Original words: Dustin Kensrue, © Dead Bird Theology (ASCAP), It’s All About Jesus Music (ASCAP)

I hope 2017 is filled with blessings for you. All Glory be to Christ!

2 comments:

  1. Diana, Wishing you a blessed new year. I especially enjoyed reading your post today....because I feel the very same about December! We do not celebrate with decorating and gift giving but we certainly celebrate our savior! I am always thankful for January to come. Have a nice week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree – never so happy as when January begins! It's as if I can suddenly breath again.

    You have an awesome week, too, friend! And as always I appreciate your visit! <3

    ReplyDelete

Your visit means so much to me. Oh YES it does! Have a blessed day!