January 29, 2017

Kansas Day 2017

So, in all those boxes I've been going through that we had stored in Daughter-in-law A's attic, today I came across a folder appropriate for today – Kansas Day pages made by my Youngest Son J when he was in elementary school... I'm guessing about third grade in the early 1990s.

When I saw the center page in this next photo, I had to chuckle. Have you ever seen such a malnourished buffalo, what with all the prairie grasses we have here? Haha!

Our cottonwood trees really do grow quite huge, as in the next photo. And the wheat?

*clears throat*

Well... umm...

And those folks who cheer for KU (I root for K-State) will get a kick out of this last page. In my son's words and printing, it reads: "The Jayhawk has a red haed. His bill feet are yellow. His wings are blue. He wears orang socks."

If you're wondering about this mythical Jayhawk bird, here's the definition from Legend of the Jayhawk: "Its origin is rooted in the historic struggles of Kansas settlers. The term "Jayhawk" was probably coined about 1848. Accounts of its use appeared from Illinois to Texas. The name combines two birds – the blue jay, a noisy, quarrelsome thing known to rob nests, and the sparrow hawk, a stealthy hunter."

Happy 156th Birthday Kansas!

I'm still happy to be living here. I will always be a Kansas girl! 🌻

1 comment:

  1. What a nice post about your beloved state! I have never been any way near Kansas but it makes me think of wheat fields blowing in the wind! I hope you are healthy and enjoy a good week.

    ReplyDelete

Your visit means so much to me. Oh YES it does! Have a blessed day!