January 26, 2017

Throwback Thursday {my first quilt}

Daughter-in-law A has been bringing some of my boxes down from her attic where we'd stored them when Jerry and I moved back here from Newton in 2013. At the time of our move, I hadn't been sure of what I could cram into this tiny apartment. So, for three years and a half years, while other things have had my constant attention, I'd nearly forgotten what was still packed away... like the very first quilt I'd ever made! The heat of summer and cold of winter probably haven't been the best things for it to endure in the attic all this time, but it seems none the worse for it.

When I had finished it and showed it to my Step-grandmother Henson, she had said, "Wow, you sure chose a hard design to use for your first one!" Hmm, I hadn't thought so... all I knew was that it was fun! Haha!

Jerry and I sure have enjoyed that quilt over the years. It – and a couple other quilts I'd made after that one – even kept us comfy-cozy-warm in January 2004 when a Kansas ice storm knocked out power for nine days!

Well, back to checking out other boxes...

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful quilt. I can't believe that was your first quilt. Your step grandma was right. Did you machine or hand quilt it?

    I actually know a couple that lives in Newton! Their name is Jerry and Sandy Kilfoil. Wouldn't that be something if you knew them too? I met them when they came to Ohio for church camp meeting.

    I always look forward to reading your posts! Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary Anne! It's machine pieced, but everything else, including the binding, is by hand. I really enjoy doing things like that by hand, watching it all come together. It's like therapy for me.

      Jerry and Sandy Kilfoil names sure sound familiar. We went to First Presbyterian and our church often did co-activities with other churches. Since you mention church camp it's quite possible we met them at some point. What a small world, huh!

      I saw on your blog that you LOVE fabric – me too! I'm known for keeping bunches fat quarters around just because I love the colors and designs haha! If you decide to start up blogging again you'll have to let me know so I can visit you. Blessings, friend! :)

      Delete

Your visit means so much to me. Oh YES it does! Have a blessed day!